Monday, September 29, 2008

Fisheries Foreign


I've often thought it would be great to fish around the world- actively working in various fisheries, exotic and exciting to this previously insular American, exploring similarities in fishing practices and cultures across the globe, and forging friendships in the process. The perspective gained from working on the decks of boats in regions across the globe would be invaluable.

Most any boat could use an extra hand, right? This often isn't the case, and in some ways the captain can look at an extra hand as one more liability. My recent foray in the skipper's slippers might have shown me just how valuable experienced crew is. A foreigner who doesn't speak the language, is green to the specific fishery, has never before been on the boat- how valuable is he? Good for a laugh, perhaps, but little else at first. But eventually, after a day or two, if he knows a few knots, knows how to stay out of the bight, and can learn a thing or two on deck, he may be of some meager value to the boat. This is the little niche I'd like to fill. If only plane tickets weren't also a factor.....

Thanks to an especially generous benefactor and a open-minded fellowship committee willing to take a chance on a fool like me, I'll be spended the eight months or more exploring fisheries outside of the US. I'll use the fellowship support to cover airfare, and hopefully I'll be able to swing room and board (perhaps even a beer) in exchange for fishing work. The fellowship transformed an idle dream of mine into reality, overnight.

My idea is fairly straightforward and decidedly non-academic (I'm still amazed that it garnered any support): show up in a fishing-dependent region of a particular nation at roughly the peak fishing season, and then find work on one of the active fishing boats in the area. Meet people. Work with local fishermen. Green cards be damned. After roughly a month of work, more to a different region of the world. Repeat.

For the scholars in the house: nothing particular or specific will be studied. For the others: everything will be studied, although I'm certainly no expert. I'll try to take in all my surroundings, and will no doubt make comparisions and observe trends. I'll likely report some of these on this blog, and I also plan to tinker with creating some on-air radio pieces as well (stay tuned). It'd be unjust for me not to share what I see with others back at home.

Where to go? This question has burned up considerable lamp oil. My goal isn't to see the biggest fisheries of the world, or to visit the nations which dominate world fisheries harvests. Small-scale commercial fisheries, for whatever reason, are my cup of tea. Small fisheries, it seems are abundant the world over. Here's the current list, subject and likely destined to see more revisions:

Canada (Newfoundland)
Chile (far south)
Brazil (Amazon)
Portuese Azores
Tanzania (Zanzibar)
Mauritania
Vietnam
Mongolia (yes, even Mongolia has commercial fisheries)
Finland (Saami region)
Russia (Kamchatka)

...given sufficient time and funds....
Australia
Philippines

I've received many suggestions in formulating this list, and am still open to any others. Please do speak up.

1 comment:

  1. The dream is realized!
    Congratulations Brad.
    I'll be following along on your travels.

    ReplyDelete